Friday, January 13, 2012

My Pegboard Desk


Apparently these things were popular in the ‘40’s & 50’s. I had one. I LOVED it. The pegboard would slide out and you could then inset a masonite board in for a solid surface to draw or color on. And of course all the little wooden pegs would store inside the desk. I hadn’t thought of that desk in ages. I’ve been reading the book “Julie & Julia” and it mentions Julia Child’s pegboard wall in her kitchen where she hung all her pots and pans. That jogged my memory about the desk. I vividly remember using it when I was 3-4 years old, when we lived in Kansas City, KS. I have no memories of it after that, when we moved to California. It might not have survived the trip, since after we’d started out with our trailer full of possessions, the hitch broke and everything in the trailer ended up in a corn field. After picking up what could be salvaged, we drove back to KC to repack and reload. Then headed out again.
I tried looking these up on the Internet. This one pictured here was on Ebay. And I guess that’s the only place you’re going to find one these days. I thought this would be a dandy thing for Lia, but I guess not. I know Marv could easily make a pegboard in a frame to place on a table, but where on earth would you find pegs? There is nothing like what I had as a child. There are peg games with large plastic pegs, but Lia is beyond that kind of thing. The closest thing would be a Lite-Brite set. Ah, well. The things of childhood past…
Sure did love that desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment