Friday, October 3, 2014

No Claustrophobics Need Apply



Right now the Tiny House movement is really BIG! (See what I did there?)

There’s even a reality show on DIY showing them. We don’t get that channel, or I would probably watch it. I think the movement started about 10 years ago, which is about the time I became aware of these structures.

It was probably an article on MSN featuring the houses that Tumbleweed Tiny House makes. I went to their website and thought those little houses were adorable! Since then, you can find many others who sell blueprints so you can make your own.

There are many, many blogs where people go into great detail about the planning and building of their little house. And they are all just as cute as can be. It would be wonderful to be able to pare your life down to the absolute essentials and be content in a very small space. I think I might have been able to do it when I was young. At this point though, I have so much STUFF that I know I could pare down, but there would still be too much to fit into such a small space. And certainly not with another person thrown in the mix as well. And even though I could probably part with more than I think, I absolutely will not get rid of Marvin!

The Tumbleweed site lists the square footage of their plans as ranging from 117 to 874. Having a second floor is what makes the difference. And that second floor is where the bed goes, and it takes up the entire space, pretty much. Not a lot of head room, either. (Marv is 6’2”) You basically climb up a ladder and crawl into bed. Again, at my age, not so possible anymore. When you don’t have working knees, you can’t crawl very well.

So it would have to be a single level dwelling. Fold up bed, Murphy-style. Tiny stove and fridge. I’m giving myself the creeps just thinking about it. Where would I put my stamps? WHERE WOULD I PUT MY BOOKS???

Nope. Not gonna happen.

They are cute, though…



No comments:

Post a Comment