Friday, October 17, 2014

Mysteries & Music – Jonathan Gash





Lovejoy was not a PBS show, but was shown on a cable station as a Brit import. I don’t remember which station it was on, or how I came to know of it, but I became a fan immediately. I had not read any of the books before, but after seeing a few episodes I started looking for the books in the library. I was a bit surprised that the Lovejoy of the books was different from the TV one. Actually, it was the TV one that was different from the original. Gash’s Lovejoy wasn’t quite as nice and a bit sleazy.

I don’t know if this was a conscious decision of the writers, or just the interpretation of the wonderful and handsome Ian McShane. His Lovejoy was so full of mischief and fun and was truly a joy to watch. Even though I read many of the books, I still preferred McShane’s Lovejoy. I even got Sarah to become a fan of the show. I would really like to eventually get this series on DVD. It’s available and not outrageous in price.

The theme was written by Denis King, and played while the opening title and credits were shown, along with scenes from the show. McShane had such a twinkle in his eye! You just knew Lovejoy was going to get into mischief, but it was in good fun. Cute little tune, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment