Friday, October 31, 2014

Mysteries & Music – Georges Simenon





The next PBS Mystery series I’ll talk about is Maigret. Based on books by Georges Simenon, this series was a great favorite of both Marv’s and mine. And while this was very French, not Brit, I loved the whole flavor of it. Simenon was another very prolific writer and thankfully, his books were readily available. Also, thankfully, they were translated into English. I really stocked up at the used bookstore in Chico. I don’t know why this particular book series grabbed me the way it did, but I truly reveled in them.

As for the TV series, Michael Gambon played the role of Inspector Jules Maigret, and I thought he mastered it. This particular series is hard to find on DVD and is very pricey. There was a French version done with a different actor that is available on DVD, but I’m not interested. I have enjoyed everything that Mr. Gambon has done, and for me, HE is Maigret. It looks like there are full episodes available on youtube, and I will definitely check those out.

I LOVED the theme music!! It was so French, so poignant; it just wafted into my soul. I desperately wanted to be sitting at a little café table in ‘20s France, sipping wine and smoking a cigarette. The composer is listed as Nigel Hess. You can hear the full 3 minute theme here on youtube:






No comments:

Post a Comment