Friday, August 30, 2013

Summer Has "Fall"en



Such a melancholy time of year, yet it’s my favorite. The days are still a little too warm, and the nights aren’t cooling off enough yet, but I can feel the season creeping in. Crunchy leaves. Crisp nights. The smell of wood smoke from the fireplaces.

It also means: Time for school. *sigh* Now that Lia has started Kindergarten, I’ve been getting some of the old feelings back that used to accompany this time of year…

The only tradition I enjoyed about the “back to school” time was the new clothes I’d get. My mom would take my brother and I shopping and pick out a few new outfits. The new clothes couldn’t be worn until school started. I still remember one particular outfit that became a favorite. The skirt was a rich light brown with a touch of red. The blouse was cream with green leaves all over. Loved that outfit. This was back in the day when girls HAD to wear dresses or skirts. No pants! It wasn’t until I was a sophomore in high school that the dress code changed.

Along with school clothes, we’d also get to pick out new winter pajamas. I LOVED flannel pjs! I’d usually have a couple sets of pants/tops and a couple long nightgowns, all flannel. It would be a while before it was cold enough to start wearing them, but they were waiting for me!

Now I see all the back to school stuff in the stores and feel like I should be getting some new clothes and pajamas. Maybe pick up a couple notebooks and a new set of pens while I’m there. I LOVED getting a fresh box of crayons at the beginning of school. I don’t think schools even supply them anymore.

Ah well. Goodbye Summer. Hello Autumn. Come in and have a cup of hot chocolate.





No comments:

Post a Comment