Friday, August 9, 2013

Book Report August 2013



The Razor’s Edge by W. Somerset Maugham

I had never read any Maugham before. This book was one from my mom’s library. I really wish I had read more of her books and had discussed them with her before she died. I really enjoyed this book, which takes place shortly after WW1 and ends roughly 15 years later. I have to admit skimming the philosophy talk toward the end of the book. I would be very interested in seeing the 1946 movie that was made based on this book. I can’t imagine what the 1984 version was like with Bill Murray. I know that movie was panned and from what I read about it, it had little to do with the book. The book tells the story of Larry, a young pilot in the war, who basically separates himself from the world in order to find peace of spirit.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
The Mason Williams Reading Matter by Mason Williams

I have always loved the music of Mason Williams. When this book came out in 1969, I bought it as a gift for my brother. He loved it, and so did I. I really regretted not buying a copy for myself. Much later I found a copy in very good condition at a thrift store, but didn’t read it again until recently. OMG. Talk about a “bathroom book”. We have a friend who uses this term for something that can be written while sitting on the toilet. He uses the same term of derision for music that has no talent or thought behind it. I couldn’t believe this was the same book I raved about back in ’69. It had some amusing stuff in it, but I KNOW I COULD WRITE SOMETHING LIKE THIS. I can do stream of consciousness writing…I can repeat random words to fill a page….I can dash off nonsense like you wouldn’t believe…but I doubt that anyone would pay me for it. Phooey.
BTW, his music STILL ROCKS totally….



No comments:

Post a Comment