Friday, August 16, 2013

Tea, Anyone?



I am a total Anglophile. I love all things Brit, but have a special soft spot for Victorian Britain. And Regency Britain. And Miss Marple Britain. The style, the grace, the tea. Coffee is my main drink, but I love the thought of a real tea party. I’d love to go into a tea shop (Tea Shoppe) and get a plate of cute little cakes and a pot of tea. I remember trying to have a tea party when Sarah was little and we used her Playskool Tea Set. I think I used apple juice instead of tea, and had little goodies to put on the plates. I think Sarah was highly unimpressed. I think Lia might be more appreciative, but I’m gonna wait a couple more years.

In my mind, tea would take place in the sun room of the cottage. So bright and lovely with all the plants in bloom. Small table, white cloth, the best china, of course. Little bread, butter and cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off. Petit fours of all colors. Cranberry scones with lemon curd. Two pots of tea: one with orange spice and the other with mint. Cubed sugar and real cream. I’d wear my pastel dress and cream straw hat with the flowers in the front. No gloves. It’s casual.

If it was a nice day, the table would be set up in the garden in the white gazebo. Hanging pots of geraniums all around. All my besties would be there in their summery dresses and hats. We’d have our tea and chat and solve all the world’s problems in one afternoon.

Doesn’t that sound nice? 



No comments:

Post a Comment