Friday, March 2, 2012

It's All About Davy



I loved Davy Jones. I mean, I REALLY loved Davy Jones. After all, I’d had many crushes over the years, starting with Timmy Martin on Lassie. But Timmy wasn’t a real person, he was an actor playing Timmy. Davy was REAL. And I was so much more mature by the time Davy came into my life: 13 years old! That’s practically a WOMAN!! We had the same initials: DJ...Davy Jones/Dorothy Jackson. We both were born in December. We were even the same height at that time: 5’3”. (I got a little taller later on; Davy didn’t)
I watched the show; I had all the albums; I had Davy posters all over my walls (and ceiling-wink, wink) and just KNEW that someday we would marry…
And then came the issue of either Tiger Beat or 16 where it was revealed that Davy was MARRIED. Oh, the pain! The betrayal! I had been SUCH a FOOL!
The posters came down. But they were in a file where I could look at them once in awhile and bemoan my innocence. He was so lovely…so very lovely…
I got over the pain. I still loved the music. I watched some of the reruns on Comedy Central and marveled at the cheesiness and juvenile humor, but still enjoyed the fact that they were clean episodes. I still loved Davy.
He appeared in a free show at the fairgrounds in Chico several years ago, as the opener for Peter Noone of Herman’s Hermits fame. Marv has always known of my “Davy crush” and insisted that we go. Sad to say, Davy was NOT at his best at that show. I was very disappointed and I think the last vestige of the “crush” disappeared that night, but the memory of the love remained. (BTW—Peter Noone was AWESOME!! Had the whole audience singing “Henry the VIII” at the end of the evening!)

And now Davy is gone. But I’m STILL his “Daydream Believer.”

xoxoxo ♥ Davy  (30 December 1945--29 February 2012)

PS. I forgave you long ago for being married…I just wish I hadn’t chucked those posters when I cleaned my room out prior to getting married. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment