Thursday, April 18, 2024

Hire a Hermit

 



“During the 18th and 19th centuries, it was typical for wealthy landowners to have expansive grounds and gardens for them to enjoy and host guests. Many Victorians were completely fascinated by eccentric people, and some would hire people to live on the grounds as hermits.

 

They were encouraged to grow their hair out, not bathe, dress as druids, and wander around as a source of entertainment or to provide advice. They would live on the grounds and would also be fed and cared for until they were released and usually gifted a stipend.”

 

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

 

Wouldn’t this be the GREATEST JOB EVER???? I could REALLY get into something like this! You want eccentric?? Baby, I got a TRUCKLOAD of it with extra weirdness sprinkled on top! I’d be the “Wilde Womyn o’ the Woode”…complete with cauldron on the porch and 27 cats. I’d cackle arcane words on command. Maybe even throw a spell or two into the air. And talk about your frolic in the moonlight…that can be done an NO EXTRA COST! Clothing optional!

 

Having a garden party? I’d happily sit back at the far edges and sing tunelessly while weaving daisy chains. I’d have a comfy tuffet next to me and read your fortunes after dessert. I’d make poppets for the little girls and straw horsies for the little boys.

 

Winter might be a bit hard to do, but if provided with enough blankets I would still wander around for your viewing pleasure. Just make sure I have enough food for those 27 cats…

 


No comments:

Post a Comment