Thursday, April 25, 2024

My House, My Rules

 



I read an article titled “55 Things No Woman Over 40 Should Ever Have In Her Home”

 

Yeah, right…

I have no idea why 40 year old women were targeted in this. Why that particular age? Why that particular sex? Some I will grant are more in the woman’s realm, but can also apply to men. At whatever age. And who is going to check on this stuff??

Some of the “no-no” things were the following:

 

Multiple remotes

Yes, we have about 5 or 6 of them. Who cares? We don’t!

 

Futon

I will grant that they become very uncomfortable very quickly. If it’s all you can afford until you get a REAL sofa or bed, again, who cares?

 

Piggy bank - It served its purpose as you collected pennies growing up, but a classy coin purse does the same job—minus the bulk.

WHO CARRIES A COIN PURSE??? Not me! And a cute piggy bank can be a nice decoration. And it doesn’t have to be a piggy. It can be a cat (I have that one), a large mushroom (had that one too), whatever pleases you.

 

Plastic wine glasses

I do NOT care what I drink my wine out of. Except the bottle. I hardly EVER drink out of the bottle. Any more. But I do admit to having a nice selection of different sized wine glasses (real glass) that I got at Good Will and Salvation Army…

 

Dust ruffles

Unless you have really ugly stuff peeking out from under your bed, there is no reason for these. If we had a regular bed frame I would have those nice, neat plastic Tupperware things for storage of blankets, etc.

 

Yellowed towels

Again, I don’t care what I dry myself off with after a shower. If they get too ratty, they get cut up into rags. And we NEVER have guests other than Sarah and/or Lia. And Sarah’s towels are like mine. (Frugal Germans that we are)

 

Shoes that hurt

I have almost zero choice in that. My feet have never fit well into any kind of shoe other than a bedroom slipper or sloppy tennis shoe. I have “church shoes” that I take off as soon as I get home.

 

Orphan Socks

Again with the German frugality. I was taught how to darn socks from my grandma. I don’t do that anymore, but if one sock dies and the other one is still in good shape, I will remarry it to another loner sock. Then they both can be happy.

 

Ketchup Packets

And other condiments as well. The only packets I store up are Taco Bell mild sauce and the breakfast salsa. I have a nice plastic container of them that I have in the cabinet. I know the bottles of this stuff are in the stores now, but we don’t use them that often.

 

Red Party Cups and Paper Plates

???? This one is just plain stupid. Unless you are really into doing dishes, a casual get-together doesn’t need anything other than those things. And they are all recyclable now.

 

Wrinkled Sheets

Sheets were NEVER ironed when I was growing up. I have NEVER ironed sheets myself. If you make the bed and it looks neat, WHO CARES!!! They’re gonna get wrinkled the first time you sleep on them.

 

Cluttered surfaces

OK. I am SO guilty of this!! No matter how hard I try, there ALWAYS seems to be a pile of papers, etc that accumulates immediately after I have cleared it up. I clear the counter. I clear the table. Turn around, the counter is cluttered again! And when I turn back to the table, same thing!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment