Friday, April 30, 2021

May Diversions

Got my act together in time to post this before the festivities started…

 

 6 - National Day of Prayer

Wow! If this country ever really needed prayer it’s right now! God is the only one who can set things straight!

 

8 - MAD Magazine hits the newsstands. (1952)

I absolutely LOVED this magazine! In the mid 60s my cousin Greg was visiting and left his MAD magazine behind and I devoured it and thirsted for more. I got that magazine every month and stopped around 1978 or so. So many great memories.

 

 9 - Lost Sock Memorial Day

We’ve all been there. One leaves and the other remains. What do you do? In my case, I just go ahead and pair the singleton with another singleton and wear them. That’s also what I do when I get a hole in one sock, but the other one is still fine.

 

25 – Towel Day

If you haven’t read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, shame on you! 

 

 

30 - Mint Julep Day

Apparently this is THE drink to have when you go to the Kentucky Derby. It’s probably pretty taste without the horses, too…

 

Mint Julep Ingredients:

2 cups sugar

2 cups water

Sprigs of fresh mint

Crushed ice

Old Forester Straight Bourbon Whisky (I would use my personal fave, Jack Daniels)

Silver Julep Cups (Ehhh, glass is good enough for me)

 

How to Make Mint Juleps:

Make a simple syrup by boiling sugar and water together for five minutes.

Cool and place in a covered container with six or eight sprigs of fresh mint, then refrigerate overnight. Make one julep at a time by filling a julep cup with crushed ice, adding one tablespoon mint syrup and two ounces of Old Forester Kentucky Whisky.

Stir rapidly with a spoon to frost the outside of the cup. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.

 

If you can’t make it to the Derby, sit back and relax, drinking a julep and reading a Black Stallion book by Walter Farley. I loved that series as a kid!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment