Thursday, May 6, 2021

A Cheer for the Good Ones


 

This past week was Teacher Appreciation Week. With all the crap going on concerning school openings and teacher squabbles and parental squabbles and mask squabbles and the very real tragic effect it’s having on our kids, I thought I’d pay tribute to the very special teachers who had a positive influence on me. I’m sure there are a lot of what my Dad would call “one of the good ones”, but it’s always the negatives that make the news. Some of my teachers I’ve already blogged about, but they all deserve kudos.

 

1st grade – Norma Vanderley. She was a SAINT. So blessed to have had her as a teacher.

 

4th grade – Dee Maloy. Kinda scared me, but she OPENED MY MIND.

 

Junior High English – Virginia Sherman and Lois Copenhaver. The first played Bill Cosby records and the Sgt. Pepper album. The latter had a great sense of humor and treated us like we had a brain.

 

High School English – Mrs. Padgett. Very sympathetic and compassionate dealing with my massive insecurities. Did her absolute best to help me.

High School Creative Writing – Pat Wismer. Outstanding. Actually a class that I enjoyed. She encouraged my writing.

 

Sadly, by the time I was stable enough to look back and appreciate these teachers, they had passed on and I never got to thank them. If you had a special teacher or two and they are still around, THANK THEM!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment