Thursday, May 20, 2021

For The Love of Axolotls



I don’t remember when I saw axolotls for the first time, but I was hooked right away. I mean, who could NOT look at that sweet smiling face and feel anything but love?? Marv disagrees. He thinks they are creepy and ugly.

 

I will admit not all axolotls look cute. There are actually some fairly ugly ones. But all axolotls matter. They all need love. They are found only in Mexico and are critically endangered.

 

I’m not going to give you a science lesson. You can look the stuff up yourself. These critters are fascinating. They can regrow just about any part of their body including parts of the brain. They’re easy to breed for scientific study, but if you want to keep one as a pet in an aquarium, there are some fairly important rules to keep your axolotl alive. They average around 9 inches, but can grow up to 18 inches. That would take a pretty big tank. It’s best to just leave them where they are to enjoy life. BTW, they are illegal to own in California.

 

They can be eaten and are considered gourmet food in Japan. But how could you look at that cute little face and then eat it??

 

I’ll end with a pic of this cute little blue beauty.


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment