Thursday, April 25, 2019

Places I’ve Lived




On an Allstate commercial recently, Dennis Haysbert said Americans moved more than anyone else, and on an average, they live in 11 different places. Marv and I thought this was an insane amount, until we started counting…Marv and his family moved a LOT over the last 65 years, but we had no idea I had racked up a fairly impressive number as well. Here’s my tally:

1953 – After I was born, we lived in a small house in the Kansas City area. This was referred to as “Dorothy’s house.” I vaguely remember my Dad putting in some kind of tiled back patio. We didn’t live there long. (house #1)

1955 – After my Mom had a miscarriage, we went to live with my grandparents above their general store. We stayed there through 1957 when my brother was born. (house #2)

1958 – My parents, brother and I moved to Bellflower, CA. It was a small house and when we decided to move my grandparents out to live with us, we moved to a larger house. (houses #3+4)

1960 – My Dad got a job in the Chico area, so we moved there into a small house by Parkview School. We lived there a year until we moved to a larger house. I lived there until I married Marv. (houses #5+6)

1976 – After we married, Marv and I lived in a house in Paradise, CA. Lived there for 2 years, then moved to Oroville, CA where we have been for the last 41 years. (houses #7+8)

At some point, we figure we will end up in Fresno to be near Sarah. That will be house #9, and hopefully the last one…


No comments:

Post a Comment