Thursday, May 2, 2019

There’s A Hole In My Bucket…List






Many years ago, when I was young and foolish (not like I am now…old and foolish!) I had only 2 things I wanted to accomplish: learn how to waltz and how to ice skate. I could roller skate somewhat, and thought that ice skating looked so graceful. Especially watching the Olympics. Since we lived in an area where there was no ice rink and there was no body of water that froze in the winter, I thought that was something that never could be done. As for waltzing…that looked like so much fun! Growing up in the late 50s and 60s with all that “modern” dancing didn’t really appeal to me.

When I was in my early 20s there was an ice rink in Marysville where we would go when Marvin led the youth group at church. I quickly found out that ankles play a BIG part in ice skating and that any skill in roller skating did not apply. All I managed to do was cling onto the side and try to remain upright. I saw small children with double-blade skates, but they didn’t have those in adult sizes. I’ve since seen places that have a kind of walker thing that you can hold onto and go out on the ice. I wish that had been around back then.

Marv tried to teach me the steps for waltzing and I discovered that it helps to have some kind of physical grace for it. Technically I understand how it’s done, but in practice I don’t quite reach the level of beauty of Elaine dancing on Seinfeld. *sigh*

So in a sense, I did cross off ice skating and waltzing on my list. So now what? At my age, the bucket list is more of an unreachable dream list. Physical stuff aside, all it now takes is lots of money. No can do. But if I must make a list, here it is.

Visit my penpal in England
Go on a cruise to Hawaii
Visit various parts of the United States
Visit Australia

How about YOUR list? Tell me…


No comments:

Post a Comment