Thursday, January 9, 2014

Leftover Alphabet Soup ABC





A bit less than 3 years ago I did a series called Alphabet Soup. I decided there were still plenty of letters left over to do it again. This time I’m trying for something unusual or at least different. So the first letter is:

A – Algonquin Round Table
Being a voracious reader, I’d heard of the famous group of writers and wits that would get together for lunch. I loved Robert Benchley’s work and greatly enjoyed Dorothy Parker. I always felt kind of sad for her.
I liked the idea of all these tremendously talented people getting together and having lunch amongst all the golden words surrounding them.

B – Blue Footed Booby
Not only does it have a funny sounding name, but it’s odd looking as well. I first learned about this bird while watching Captain Kangaroo with my kids when they were little. There was a cute little video and song that was played. I tried to find it on the internet to no avail.

C – Calumet
I grew up seeing the red Calumet Baking Powder can on the shelf in the kitchen. There’s one in my own kitchen now, too. I always assumed that Calumet was the name of a tribe. It wasn’t until I was an adult and came across the word in a different way that I realized it was not a Tribal name. It was just another name for a peace pipe. The origin seems to come from a French word for a musical instrument that resembled the pipe. I then looked up all the images I could find for the baking powder logo and as far as I can tell, a pipe was never part of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment