Thursday, January 23, 2014

Book Report January 2014



All The Mowgli Stories by Rudyard Kipling

Over the years I’ve heard or read most of the Jungle Book stories. I had never read this particular book that had to do specifically with Mowgli. This was from the children’s section at a book sale. I gave it to Sarah for Lia to have, but had never read it. One of the times I was visiting, I took it out and started looking through it. I was surprised that everything in the book was new to me. So I read it. And enjoyed it thoroughly! I doubt that Lia will ever take an interest in it, so I kept it for my own library. Great book!
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Mail for Mikey by Orson Bean

I’ve always enjoyed Orson Bean’s humor and had read a previous book he had written about his first marriages and using drugs. It was well written and had a lot of humor in it. I had heard a blurb about this particular book online, with the explanation that it was how Orson had come to be a Christian. Since personal testimonies are a great favorite of mine, I bought the book. At first, I was greatly dismayed to discover that this was a book of fiction. It was very well written, but I had been hoping for a true personal testimony. I later found a very good interview with Orson on Youtube when he was on a Christian talk show. Yes, the book was fiction in a way, but it was based pretty much on his true experience of accepting Christ. The interview relieved my mind a great deal and I would recommend this book highly.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Killing Jesus by Bill O’Reilly, Martin Dugard

Since I was raised in the Christian church, there was nothing really new to me in this book as far as the account of the Crucifixion. I got it mainly because I greatly enjoyed the previous books, “Killing Lincoln” and Killing Kennedy” and I know O’Reilly and Dugard are good writers. I was more interested in the history behind it all, and learned a great deal about the Caesars, Jewish law, and the politics of the times. Good read for the historical aspect.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Manhunt by Janet Evanovich

I’ve read all the Stephanie Plum books so far, so I thought I would try one of the earlier books by the author. This was strictly a romance, and I was a bit skittish about it. But I should’ve trusted who this was written by. It was full of good humor and the sex was non-graphic. A nice little romp. A burned-out executive chucks her busy, luxurious life for the wilds of Alaska with husband hunting on her mind.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Hollow City by Ransom Riggs

In this sequel to Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, the story picks up right where it left off. The writing is so good that the pictures are just an added bonus. I was a bit dismayed to find out what seems to have happened to Miss Peregrine (don’t want to spoil things), but am eagerly looking forward to the series continuing to the next book.



No comments:

Post a Comment