Friday, August 28, 2009

Sloppy Joes at Bethany Lutheran

Keeping with the "church food" theme, I remember the first time I ever experienced the wonderfulness of Sloppy Joes. I was in first grade at Bethany Lutheran, so I was 6 years old. There was a carnival-type thing going on at the church that evening. I don't remember any rides, but that was a time when we were REALLY tight on money, so that might have been something we just didn't do. Looking back, I know it was a real sacrifice for me to be attending a parochial school at all. Anyway, we were there, and I remember saying "hi" to a boy from my class. There was a clown giving out balloons and my parents let me join the crowd of children around him to get my balloon. I was a little surprised when I got close to the clown and noticed how heavy the makeup was on his face. AND--he did NOT say "You're welcome" when I politely thanked him for my balloon. I was taught that you ALWAYS say "Please", "Thank you", and "You're welcome". What a rude clown!
Somewhere along the line was when we all had Sloppy Joes. What a wonderful thing! We'd never had them at home! I loved it! Time passed and it was getting time to leave soon. Ice cream was mentioned, but I wanted another Sloppy Joe! I was told that I couldn't have both ice cream and a Sloppy Joe. That would give me a tummy ache. What a "Sophie's Choice" type of decision to place on a child! Ice cream--Sloppy Joe: what to choose, what to choose! Well, it really wasn't much of a struggle. We had ice cream all the time at home, so Sloppy Joe it was!
PS-A little story about the balloon. I was disappointed the next day when the balloon no longer floated. I didn't understand about the helium leaking out, leaving an ordinary balloon behind. I still loved my balloon, though, and was devastated when my baby brother (that's YOU Bert!) caused it's demise. I don't recall what he did, just that it was his fault, and I cried. My grandmother used the "sop" of "That's OK, we'll get you another one." So I waited ALL DAY for her to get me another balloon! Every time she left the room where I was and came back in, I expected her to have a balloon with her! Never happened! Ever! So you OWE me a balloon, Albert! Make it a helium one, and all is forgiven...perhaps. Make it a helium one that's BLUE and we're definitely even!

No comments:

Post a Comment