Friday, August 21, 2009

Church Food!!

Today I'm talking about that most wonderful of foods: Church Food! It doesn't matter what it is, it's good! I've always loved church food, and especially pot lucks. I don't know why, but for a predominantly German congregation, we sure get a lot of Italian food! Of course, spaghetti and other pasta dishes are fairly easy to make and to make in large quantities. When we had a pot luck at the church where I grew up, our family would always take a couple of big cans of Ravioli, brown some hamburger, mix it all together and cover the top with Parmesan cheese. There were NEVER any leftovers. I went to a funeral at a Baptist church (*gasp*) a couple weeks ago and they had the most wonderful Southern fried chicken at the lunch. Wow! I went to a funeral service at my church at the beginning of this week and they served lasagna at the luncheon afterward. Another wow! What makes all this especially good is that I can eat just about anything again since I'm not having lactose probs anymore. What a blessing that is, I can tell you! I didn't have to worry that the fried chicken had milk in the batter and of course the lasagna would've been deadly to me as well.Which brings me to tomorrow's fare--Pancake Breakfast!! It's the last fund raiser for a trip to Kenya that our pastor and another man from the congregation are taking in a couple of weeks. And I will be able to partake! I absolutely adore church pancakes! I have tried a whole BUNCH of mixes and scratch recipes over the years, and my pancakes NEVER taste as good as church ones. This past Easter was the first in many years that I was able to eat them again. Growing up, we always went to Sunrise Service on Easter and then went back to the church for breakfast. The Men's Club would do the cooking. You'd get a paper plate full of 2 eggs, 2 pancakes and 2 link sausage and cover it all with syrup. Does not get any better than that!
Thank you, Lord, for Church Food! Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Dot, I'm sorry you felt the need to *gasp* at the mere mention of a Baptist church gathering. What denomination are you?

    ReplyDelete