Thursday, December 21, 2023

OK…I’m Old!! – Part 1

 

I see posts all the time on Facebook that show a picture and say “If you had this/if you remember this/etc…You are Old!” And it’s true…

 


Balsa Wood Airplanes

My brother and I had many, many of these when growing up. So much fun! So easy to do! So easy to break!! It didn’t matter. My dad would bring more home.

 


 

Nestle Quik

We always had a can of this on hand. It was the only thing to drink with a peanut butter sandwich (on white bread, of course) and we never had a set limit on how much my brother and I could put in our milk. At some point, the metal lid came with a slot in it so you could make the empty container into a piggy bank. When strawberry flavor came out we’d have that, too. Then when it came in banana flavor I thought I’d discovered true happiness. I don’t know why it was discontinued in the US. You can get banana flavor online, but it’s pricey.

 

 


Fisher Price Phone

When these first came out, I was a tad too old for it, but I’m pretty sure my brother had one. I know my kids had one. When I was very young I had a pull-toy frog that I just loved.

 


 

View Master

This was outright magic to me! I could NOT get over the 3-D pictures! I felt like I could put out my hand and reach right inside. We had a view master in a bakelite box and a BUNCH of reels. This was a favorite when I was sick and couldn’t go out and play. I would sit up in bed and go through all the reels and just revel in the magic of 3-D. Sadly, I didn’t take it with me when I got married. It was in dad’s workshop which burned down to the ground a few years after I married. I got one for Paul and Sarah with some reels, but they never took an interest in them. Neither did Lia. One time Marv and I looked on ebay for reels and found a large lot of the original reels for sale, but the price went over what we were willing to pay.

 


 

Butter Rum Lifesavers

I know these are still around, but growing up these were a special treat! I can remember getting the variety flavored rolls, but for some reason the butter rum ones weren’t as available. My favorite thing to do was wait until they had gotten a bit soft in the wrapper and then chewing them. I know my dentist would NOT have approved!

 

Random Thought:

If you clear your mind completely, will there be an echo?

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment