Thursday, November 9, 2023

Lying Fallow

 



The dictionary definition of lying fallow is to remain uncultivated, unused, unproductive.

 

Farmers know all about this. Letting a field lie fallow occasionally gives the land a rest. A time to replenish nutrients. Let it heal from working so hard producing a crop. Then when it’s time to start plowing and seeding again, the land is ready.

 

Lying fallow is important for people, too. The world is such a busy place anymore, and if you aren’t actively doing something at all times you are considered lazy, selfish, taking up space. You can also feel guilty.

 

Obviously, if you have a job, you need to do your work, no matter what. When you come home you usually don’t immediately start dinner, mow the lawn, work on the car…whatever. You need time to “decompress.” That’s a kind of lying fallow.

 

It’s hard to be truly creative if you feel like you’re on some kind of schedule with a deadline. I’ve always enjoyed creative writing, but when it was a school assignment I would become paralyzed when faced with a time limit. Some of my best writing has been when I wasn’t really paying attention and the words would just come to me. The same with art or crafting. I love making Christmas cards, birthday cards, etc. I always have good intentions to get these cards made in time for whatever the occasion is. Before I know it, though, the birthday or anniversary is two days away and I know I can’t get the card made and mailed in time. Same with Christmas cards. When there’s so much self-imposed pressure, the joy of doing it is lost.

 

And I finally admitted to myself that I’m getting on in years and can’t physically do as much as I used to. My back especially tells me when it’s time to take a breather. Cleaning the bathroom is exhausting and painful. Vacuuming is exhausting and painful. I now give myself permission to lie fallow once in a while. Take a deep breath. Sit and look out the back yard. Slowly drink a hot or cold beverage. Let the hamsters in my mind climb off the wheel for a bit…

 

So give yourself a break. Lie fallow for a bit. Your mind and body will thank you.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment