Thursday, September 8, 2022

100 Books – part 3

 



More from the list of books everyone should read in their lifetime.

 

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Absolutely delightful book and series! I’ve read them all and highly recommend them. If you love the Laura Ingles Wilder books, you will love these. Same flavor of a rural lifestyle that is long gone.

 

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Another great series. Sadly, my kids had zero interest in them. I read them the first one in the series and they didn’t want to hear any more and of course never read them. Lewis wrote a sci-fi trilogy that is well worth reading as well.

 

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Forget the movies…read the original. Some of the movies I have enjoyed, but the book is my first love.

 

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Same as above. I’m sure Shelley was turning in her grave when the travesty movies came out.

 

Harry Potter book series by J.K. Rowling

Awesome books! Loved them all and read them before each movie was made. I truly enjoyed the movies as well, but I think reading the books first is valuable. Everyone knows by now what the characters look like, so it’s easy to read the books and be able to “see” what takes place.

 

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

I will also include The Hobbit with this series. I tried reading The Hobbit when I was in junior high and didn’t get very far before losing all interest. The first year Marv and I were married, my brother gave us a boxed set of the four books. Don’t know why, but this time around I started The Hobbit again and I just DEVOURED it and the following 3 books like brain candy. Marv read them as well. The movies were awesome, of course, but I’m glad I read the books first.

 

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

I read this when I was in 5th or 6th grade. It wasn’t really my style of book but I did enjoy it. I thought Jo should have married Laurie (which I thought was a truly ridiculous nickname for a boy) instead of Mr. Bhaer since he was SO much older, but there ya go. Jo was headstrong, that’s for sure.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment