Thursday, July 7, 2022

Flash Fiction!! AKA Got a minute??

 



I just discovered that all my little poems and stories I have written (and posted) over the years come under the category of Flash Fiction. It’s a genre of fiction that can be a VERY short story, or even a paragraph. The categories within Flash Fiction are loosely thus:

 

Flash Fiction – under 1,500 words

Sudden fiction – max of 750 words

Drabble/micro fiction – max of 100 words

Dribble/minisaga – max of 50 words

Twitterature – max of 280 characters

 

I have always called my tiny stories “vignettes” that could’ve been taken from a longer, more detailed story. I like writing little chunks and letting the reader imagine what took place before and after the bit I wrote.

 

Flash Fiction is meant to be short. It’s NOT a piece taken from a whole.

Quite some time ago, I posted a couple of shorties made from 8 random words I got from the website https://writingexercises.co.uk/subjectgenerator.php that has all sorts of neat tricks for writing. I really enjoyed doing that and decided to try it out again. So here is a random short.

 

Words:

cockroach

cool

free

tongue

torture

fruit

unwieldy

duck

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Cockroach and Duck were passing time in a park on a cool day in late Spring.

 

“Look at all the fruit on the ground,” said Cockroach. “Some people are such slobs!”

 

Duck replied: “Says the bug who regularly makes a mess in someone’s kitchen cupboard and scares the crap out of kids. What I say is: Free lunch!”

 

They stuffed themselves until they could barely move. It was almost torture to see that last strawberry that neither of them could reach, let alone eat.

 

Cockroach slipped into a food coma while Duck just sat there in the sun.

 

After a short nap, the unwieldy Duck managed to ooze his way over to the strawberry and ate it without waking Cockroach.

 

He then looked at the sleeping bug, smiled, and opened his beak wide, tongue out. “Dessert!”

 

Total words – 138

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

 

By the way, the picture at the top is comprised of only 10 words. It’s 33 characters long, making it Twitterature.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment