Thursday, July 21, 2022

100 Books – part 2

 


 

 More from the list of books everyone should read in their lifetime.

 

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

When I was in grade school, my mom bought a set of illustrated classics for kids. One of them was about Sherlock Holmes. I absolutely loved that book and went on to read all the Holmes books and stories that Doyle wrote. I will add to this list with a couple of Doyle books that are not a part of the Holmes writings.

The Lost World – An expedition to the Amazon area discovers an island inhabited by prehistoric animals and humans.

The Mystery of Cloomber – Very moody book about a retired general who is fearful and paranoid and haunted by his past. Lots of dark atmosphere. I loved the book.

 

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll 

I don’t care how old you are, if you haven’t read these books READ THEM! The poetry alone is worth it.

 

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Only this book was on the list, but everything Agatha wrote should be read. And I’ve not only read it, but seen at least 3 adaptations for movie or TV. (And they were fine, but the book is better)

 

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl

Once again, all of Dahl’s children’s book are worthy of being read. But the Charlie books are big favorites with me. The movies were good, and I enjoyed both Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp. But read the books as well.

 

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

I did a book report on this one a while back. Great read that really brings you the feeling of the early 1900s. Haven’t seen the movie.

 

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle

This entire series is fabulous. IMO they should be read one right after the other. L’Engle was a wonderful writer. Deliberately did not see the movie because of some of the things I head they’d done to the original book.

 

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

This was really a fantastic book that I thought would be good to read to Lia. When reading it again after so many years, I realized that this is a book that needs to be SEEN rather than just heard. So much fun visual word-play that just doesn’t come through vocally.


No comments:

Post a Comment