Thursday, July 29, 2021

August Diversions

 



1 - National Mahjong Day

I’ve always wanted to learn to play Mahjong. I just love the various versions of the tiles. There are several online solitaire versions of the game that I play. Those are mainly matching games. The real game calls for some strategy, which I pretty much suck at, but would like to give it a try.

 

 


8 – International Cat Day

Anyone who knows me even slightly knows why this day is special to me. As the saying goes: “My cat is best cat. Your cat is also best cat. All cats are best cats and that is science.”

 


 

13 – National Kool Aid Day

Invented in 1927. I don’t know when they came out with sugar already in it, but those first batches were mighty sour to MY taste buds! That’s what we had along with store-bought hard cookies at VBS in the summer. Yuk! It’s very versatile, though. You can color Easter eggs with it and I have an outstanding recipe for orange mandarin salad that is a great dessert.

 


 

18 – Bad Poetry Day

I was MADE for this day!! I can crank out bad poetry all day long! To celebrate this day, you don’t just write bad poetry, you need to read it to someone! So here’s mine:

 

Alas! Alas!

My empty glass

Mocks me now.

I’m all forlorn.

 

No more to drink.

Life’s a fink.

All I do

Is mourn.

 

 


19 – National Potato Day

I do love me some spuds! I think of the scene in Forrest Gump where he’s listing all the things you can do with shrimp. You may not be able to do as many things with a potato, but what you can do is always enjoyable. Fried, boiled, mashed, baked, even raw. Yum! There is a wonderful little song in praise of potatoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Co4YI_Vsmg

 


No comments:

Post a Comment