Thursday, August 9, 2018

The Big Wrap-up






Summer’s over and it’s time for school. That means no more visits from Lia until Christmas vacation. Her last visit was at the end of July and we made the most of it. Crafts, coloring, reading and watching movies. I discovered that bleeding tissue paper does NOT work well on canvas. It leaves very pale colors. Which is fine if that’s what you’re after. For the more vivid look, it’s best to stay with watercolor paper.

Lia enjoys being read to, and I enjoy reading to her. I got out 3 of my faves from childhood:

George by Agnes Sligh Turnbull. She’s one of my fave adult authors, but this was a charming book for kids. George is a very unusual rabbit in that he can talk, wears glasses and is pretty good at math. He helps the girl and boy of the family get their grades up, although their parents don’t believe in talking rabbits. Very cute book.

Time at the Top by Edward Ormondroyd. I LOVED this book! I checked it out numerous times from the library as a kid and was lucky enough to snag it at a used book sale later. I STILL love this book, and was thrilled that Lia seemed to love it just as much. She really wanted there to be a sequel to continue the story, but alas, Mr. Ormondroyd didn’t write one. I told Lia she could easily imagine what happened after the book ended, and told her my ideas of what might’ve taken place.

Father’s Big Improvements by Caroline D. Emerson. This book told the story of what country life was like at the beginning of all the “modern” stuff, such as indoor plumbing, electricity, telephones etc. Lia seemed fascinated by it. Especially the drawing of a crank telephone with the speaker that you talked into and the hand-held “listener” that you put to your ear.

All in all, a good visit, but way too short for my liking. Christmas vacation can’t get here soon enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment