Friday, September 12, 2014

Mysteries & Music – Margery Allingham





I had never read any of Allingham’s books before seeing this series involving the jaunty Albert Campion and his sidekick Magersfontein Lugg. After the first episode or so, I started looking for the books. I devoured them with relish! (But I was careful not to get any of the relish on the books, haha)
Total delights, both books and TV episodes.



Peter Davison is a perfect Campion. He plays him with dapper good humor. He became a favorite actor of mine after seeing this series.

I continued to get the books from the library, and then started collecting them in paperback for my own collection. I was devastated when I discovered I had read them all, and Ms. Allingham had in fact died some time before. She had left copious notes, though, for her husband, Philip Youngman Carter. He was also a writer and continued the series after his wife’s passing. Unfortunately, he was only able to complete one novel of his wife’s and write two more of his own in the series before he died.

You can get the series on DVD, but it’s VERY pricey, unfortunately. So get the books! Read them!!

Nigel Hess wrote the lovely little tune for the theme music. The name Campion is misspelled on youtube, but here is the link. Sweet little tune:




No comments:

Post a Comment