Friday, April 8, 2011

Sloppy Josés!


A couple years ago I wrote about my first experience with that wonderful food, Sloppy Joes. If you’re interested, you can find it here: http://dotkat-whatthecatdraggedin.blogspot.com/2009/08/keeping-with-church-food-theme-i.html

That’s always been a good last-minute, don’t-have-any-time, starving-and-wanna-eat-NOW kind of meal. I’ve made Sloppy Joes from scratch and from a variety of canned mixes. All of them yummy.

The other day I was in the Dollar Store looking for a new toothbrush holder for the bathroom. As usual, I go up and down every aisle there looking for new/fun stuff, sparkly socks, things for Lia, etc.

When I got to the food aisle, I was browsing the microwave noodle dishes and saw a can of Sloppy Joe mix. I had taken a pound of hamburger out of the freezer the previous day and thought, “Hmmmm. We haven’t had Sloppy Joes in a long time…” So I got the can of mix and then backtracked to see if I could find hamburger buns. No buns, but there was a huge display of tortillas. Never had Sloppy Joes in a tortilla. How novel. So I got a package of them.

Great idea! Put it on a tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, zap in the microwave, roll up, and YUM! Not only is it tasty, it’s actually neater than the bun method. I don’t know what the Spanish word for sloppy is, so I’m calling them Sloppy Josés. Although Less Sloppy or Tidy Josés would be better. Don’t know the Spanish for those words, either.

And don’t say that all we had was a burrito. Different flavoring entirely.

And BTW (because I know you care deeply), I did find my toothbrush holder. The previous one was a pretty blue plastic one, but since it had been knocked off the sink ledge many times, it was all cracked. What I found was a nice-looking ceramic one in a sage color that went with the bathroom colors better. And since it’s ceramic, I got 2 of them…so when the first one is broken, I will have a replacement and a little time to start looking for more…

1 comment:

  1. I never had a Sloppy Joe, neither a Sloppy José in my life :) Sounds good tho, I might try to make them and see what my family thinks about them... Already on my list of meals I plan to cook (which, to be honest, is already way too long ;))

    ReplyDelete