Friday, April 22, 2011

What Was Her Dream?


Since I was brought up in the church, I am very familiar with the Biblical accounts of major events, among them the birth of Christ and then His crucifixion. Very early in my life, I was intrigued with the passage in Matthew 27:19. That’s where the wife of Pontius Pilate sends him a message: “Have nothing to do with that just Man, for I have suffered many things today in a dream because of Him.” (NKJV)

I don’t know how old I was when I first became interested in finding out just what that dream was all about, but as time went on, I became more and more intrigued. Since this was way back in the day when I was so phobically shy I couldn’t talk to anyone, all I could do was search through my Bible. (No Google back then, either!) I was so frustrated when I discovered that it was ONLY in Matthew where this incident is mentioned. A couple of times I would check other versions than NIV or KJ (which was all I had) to see if there was anything else, or check a commentary. Nothing. The dream was important in that it was mentioned in the Bible. But I really wish there had been a little more info. Every year when this passage is read during Lent, I ponder it. What was so bad about the dream that Pilate’s wife would interrupt her husband?

The dream also comes to mind whenever I have had a particularly horrendous dream about a loved one. Thankfully, those are few and far between, but there have been some doozies. It had been a while since I’d had such a dream, but I had one the other night. Woke up heartbroken. The feeling persisted most of the day. That’s what has prompted this Good Friday blog.

Now that we have such a marvelous source of information via the Internet, I have been able to look a little further into this. There are a lot of apocryphal stories and legends, but nothing new regarding scripture. And there it will have to end.

I’ll always wonder about it.

2 comments:

  1. I've been frustrated for several days now. I've been trying to find more coupons to help defer the cost of groceries. I'm spending a lot of time searching and signing up for sites, but I'm so new at it, that I often come up empty handed. That's why I said, oh well, we can't win them all! (Didn't want you to puzzle over such a brief and innocuous statement)

    ReplyDelete