Thursday, January 28, 2010

Jan Book Rep part 2

Well, I surprised myself and got another book read within this month. It's "The Price of Fame" by Carolyne Aarsen. It's one of a series of books called Tales of Grace Chapel Inn, and it's put out by Guideposts. I really enjoy these books for several reasons. They're clean, upbeat, always have a good ending (as opposed to a happy ending), although there are usually struggles along the way.
The main characters are 3 sisters who have a bed-and-breakfast in a quaint New England town. The sisters are all 50+ which I REALLY like. The only slightly unreal thing about the books is that they all come from a Christian standpoint. The people in the town for the most part are all Christians and freely admit to that and even (gasp) PRAY together! I'm not mocking that....I want to live there!! I would love to be in a town where it's not politically incorrect to wear a cross or confess Christ as Savior, or want to solve differences of opinion with prayer and honest discussion.
Anyway, on to the book itself. A movie crew comes to the little town of Acorn Hill in PA. The quaintness of the town and its architecture seem ideal in lending itself to a period piece. As it turns out, the price the town must pay in compromises is more than the people want to pay. Of course the movie people are scornful of Christians and prayer, but one of the crew comes to believe that maybe the things taught to him when he was a child aren't so old-fashioned and of no use as he thought. He breaks from the rest of the Hollywood crowd and goes back to his home in Canada.
Sounds sappy, I know, but I love these gentle books with their loving humor and joys and sorrows.

No comments:

Post a Comment