Thursday, August 24, 2023

The Wraith – Josephine



 This was my favorite room in our house. My parents were very wealthy and generous to me. It was in this room they held a ball for me when I turned 16. It was a magical night. So many people! Wonderful music! Lots of handsome young men to dance with! I had my first kiss with Jameson Watson, when he led me out to the patio by the east lawn. And there were many more kisses from him as time went on…

 

When I was 18, Jameson asked Daddy for my hand in marriage in this very room. We were celebrating my graduation from Miss V. Sander’s finishing school. We were to marry in 2 years’ time when Jameson came into his inheritance. We decided to hold the wedding reception in this room. So many things to look forward to…

 

When Jameson died in a fall from his horse while fox hunting a year later, I was inconsolable. Mama said I was suffering from nervous exhaustion and should go to Europe for a rest cure, but I knew that would not help. A traveling doctor sold them a tonic that he claimed would set my mind to rights. Daddy bought the doctor’s entire stock and Mama was very diligent in seeing that I had my tonic with every meal. I spent most of my time in this room laying on my favorite chaise in a daze. Time meant nothing…

 

When the tonic ran out, a year and a half had gone by, of which I remember very little. My parents tried to interest me in seeing other men, holding a lot of dances here for me, but they were of no interest to me anymore. I still loved this room though…

 

The years went by and I occupied myself with gardening and looking after Mama and Daddy. When Daddy’s bank went bust, he sold all of the property except for the piece where this house stood. Times became difficult. More and more of the furniture was sold. Mama became ill and died. Daddy wandered through the house as if he was looking for Mama. Eventually, he and I were mostly living in this room. We had my favorite chaise and his easy chair by the fireplace at the other end. They were quite worn out, but then, so were we…

 

After Daddy died, I was the one wandering through the house. I found a dusty box behind the pantry and it was filled with bottles of my tonic. That helped my days go by easier. I knew now what the tonic was, and that it was no miracle cure, but I found it a comfort…

 

I have the last 4 bottles now and am determined to finish them all this night. I suspect what this will do to me, but I no longer care…I’ve lived in this room for a long time and dying in this room is a comforting thought…

 

…Jameson!! I’m here!!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment