Thursday, February 11, 2021

2 Topics of Vital Importance

 


OK. They might not be VITALLY important, but it’s what popped into my mind this week, so I’m going with it.

 

Finessing a PB&J

Growing up, a PB&J sandwich was always made by spreading the peanut butter on one slice of bread and the jelly (usually grape, in my house) on the other slice and smashing the two together. Recall my earlier blog that talked about the way I like my sandwiches…smashed.

Marv still makes his PB&J sandwiches in this manner. Without the smashing, of course.

I do not. Since the jelly (or jam or preserves) is kept in the fridge, it’s cold and I find it hard to spread effectively. Sometimes it tears up the bread. Unacceptable. Somewhere along the line I came up with the idea of mixing the two ingredients together in a small dish until I had an evenly blended mixture. THEN I spread it on the bread. MUCH easier to my way of thinking. Marv disagrees, but then to each his own. Even if his own is wrong…

 

“Orming”

My Brit friend on FB doesn’t know the origin of the term “orm” which means to wander, stroll, etc. but uses the term when she goes on an orm around the neighborhood or to the shops. I asked her if it was always a noun or if it could be used as a verb: I went orming around the neighborhood. I went orming at Walmart. She said no, it was always a noun. You go on an orm. You do NOT go orming. Well, I’m taking liberties and using it for both. Quite often I will go orming at Walmart, not for anything specific, just going up and down the aisles to see what’s there. With the way language is always changing and new words are incorporated into the dictionaries all the time, I will make this change to suit me. So there, Carol! Want to go orming with me?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment