Thursday, September 17, 2020

It’s Time!!

 


In elementary school, either our mom or grandma would wake my brother and me up when it was time to have breakfast and get ready for school. Once we were in junior high (middle school) it was up to us to set our alarms. I would always try and set it as late as possible to give myself minimal time to get ready. That way I wouldn’t brood about the upcoming day as much. Although I had plenty of time on the school bus to do that…

 

I don’t remember ever sleeping through my alarm. And in those days, there was no snooze button. As an adult I don’t recall ever sleeping through the alarm either when I had a job to get to.

 

The older I got, the worse my hearing got. Especially if I was laying on my “good” ear. It wasn’t as important as when I had a job, but if I did want to get up at a specific time for anything, it was a real gamble as to whether I heard the alarm or not. I tried clock after clock after clock. At the store I would try out the alarm to decide if it was loud enough. So many times Marv would get up before me and would eventually hear my alarm going to town and have to wake me up.

 

You might ask why I didn’t get a nice clock radio and wake up to pleasing music. I HATE WAKING UP TO MUSIC!! It just sets my mind on edge like you wouldn’t believe. Same with setting it on a news station. DON’T TALK TO ME FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!! For some reason, an actual alarm doesn’t affect me that way.  

 

Then I got my smart phone. And learned how to set an alarm. I chose the most obnoxious sound I could possibly find and had the volume set as high as it would go. I can hear that. No problem. Unfortunately, anyone else in the house can hear it too. One time when the kids were up here, I had set the alarm to get up for church. Kevin was still sleeping and I was surprised when he got up as well. He said it sounded like a nuclear reactor had gone off. Oops. Sorry.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment