Thursday, September 3, 2020

BBQ Hijinks



It may be September, but it’s still nice enough out to utilize the BBQ.

Growing up, we NEVER did anything like outdoor grilling. Just wasn’t a part of our lives. When Marv and I moved to Oroville we got a Weber coal BBQ grill. No frills. Very basic. We’ve used it for many years and have had many great meals with it. We’ve also had some interesting failures.

I’ve always liked a bit of burned edges on my hamburgers and hotdogs. One time, though, Marv went a bit far with the hotdogs, and after crunching through a couple of them, I have never wanted them more than lightly grilled. I still like the crispy edges on my hamburgers, though.

We did chicken legs once, and those got entirely too singed and I don’t think we’ve ever tried to do those again.

The biggest oops was trying to do a turkey for Thanksgiving. Marv’s bro and his wife were here for that. Not surprisingly, being November, it was cold and rainy. We set up the Weber on the front porch so there would be some overhead protection. It took forever for that bird to cook, and even then it wasn’t enough. Marv’s bro got sick. I’m surprised we all didn’t come down with food poisoning. Never again for that kind of meal, either.

But Marv does a stellar job on hamburgers and pork chops. Just the right amount of crispiness on the edges.


No comments:

Post a Comment