Thursday, March 26, 2020

Going For A Drive






When he was in a nursing home, I would frequently take my dad out for car drives. Most of the time he would just fall asleep, but that was OK. For a while he would be back out in the world and away from the dreariness of Country Crest. It was nice that we live in a relatively rural area, so it was easy to just meander around. Go past fields with horses. Little country roads. I wouldn’t have a set route but would try to vary it a bit. Several places had landmarks that I could point out to Dad. A really unusual bird house. A house with a lot of lovely stone work on the front. Going up to Kelly Ridge and finding deer. Just tootling along. Not a lot of talking. I’d keep the drive to about a half hour and then head back to Country Crest.

After he died I found that I missed those meandering drives. It’s really not that much fun when you’re alone. I’ve never been one to drive just for the pleasure of driving. I did enjoy the drives with Dad, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment