Thursday, March 21, 2019

Rambles March 2019



Who remembers Sacket? Apparently no one other than myself. Some time back I mentioned this on FB and the response was nil. It took me awhile but I finally found a reference and a picture for this game. The only time that I played it for PE was in 5th grade. I’ve always liked baseball, even though I have NO talent whatsoever for it, and I found Sacket to be better in that the bat was flattened somewhat. This made it a lot easier to hit the ball, which was on the squishy side, as I recall. No catcher was needed because of the net that stood behind the batter. I couldn’t find any further info on the game or its history.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Like just about everybody in the 70s, we had a water bed. And like everybody who had a water bed and cats, we replaced the mattress several times…*sigh*. There’s nothing like waking up in the middle of the night and hearing the drip of water on the carpet. Or waking in the middle of the night to get up to go to the bathroom and stepping on a sopping wet carpet. But I will say that having a water bed was the only way I could have gotten through two pregnancies. Being able to sink in and be comfortable was worth everything. The one funny thing that happened though, was after Paul was born. I woke up in the middle of the soaking wet, and of course I thought the bed had sprung a leak again. As soon as I moved in the bed, though, I smelled milk. Mother’s milk, to be exact. It was ME that had sprung a leak! My pajama jacket was soaked with milk! And while I had to completely change pajamas, I was still grateful it wasn’t the mattress…
~*~ ~*~ ~*~
I have an unusual way of dealing with sandwiches and hamburgers. I smash them as flat as possible. I have always done this and never thought about it until I met Marvin. He thought my method was odd, to say the least. When making grilled cheese sandwiches, I have always flipped them over and smashed them flat to continue cooking. Marv finally told me he hated his sandwiches like that. I like my hamburgers with meat, cheese, lettuce and pickle. And I smash it all down. It’s easier to eat that way. Same with regular sandwiches. The only sandwiches I don’t smash is PB&J. Don’t know why. I do press them down a bit, but not as flat as the others. Go figure. I’m weird.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Our cat Harper recently crossed the Rainbow Bridge. He was 12 years old and the best cat we ever had as far as personality and social skills. He NEVER met a stranger. When our cat Sheba died almost 4 years ago, I decided then that Harper was going to be the last one. I just can’t handle the goodbye anymore. So here is a list of all the cats I’ve had in the last 50+ years…
Püf, Tigie, Kitty, Sidney, Katze, Pandi, Caesar, Murphy Brown, Bentley, Berkley, Foonie, Frodo, Tucker, Trill, Sheba, Harper. They were all good cats. They were all well-loved. They are all missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment