Thursday, February 2, 2017

Choosing the Chains





I wrote this poem shortly before my dad died. He was a good man, and I know that he knew the Lord, but he had a checkered past and he was afraid that God would not let him into heaven. His last years were difficult. He was in a coma the last 3 days of his life, and I hope he was being prepared for eternity. The morning he died, the nurse told me that he seemed to have peacefully left us in his sleep. I pray that he was at peace. It’s been 12 years now that he’s been gone.

Choosing the chains
that weigh us down
Choosing the ties that bind
Packing the baggage
we carry for life
Some of us traveling blind

The closer we get
to the end of the trip
The heavier seems the load
We carry our burden
and stumble along
The twisting and uneven road

The wise ones let go
and let Christ take the weight
From their shoulders
no longer bowed down
And continue the path,
claiming freedom at last
Replacing the chains with a crown



In memory of Albert Jackson Jr. 1911-2005


No comments:

Post a Comment