Friday, April 17, 2015

How I Became A Hooker





My grandmother taught me how to crochet a simple chain when I was very young. She never taught me anything else to do with that activity. So I would crochet these really long chains with thin crochet cotton. That became pretty boring pretty fast, and so I quit.

Fast forward 10 years, and I was in high school in some kind of class (girls only) where we did various things having to do with knitting, crochet and sewing. I learned how to do a basket stitch in knitting and made several potholders. That was fun. I also learned some kind of bead stitch and made a few scarves. I later tried using circular needles and made a couple of ski caps that I’m rather proud of, but that’s about it as far as knitting goes.
I’ve always hated sewing, don’t remember what it was I did with that in school.
For crochet, I learned the various terms for the directions and made a shawl with a stitch that I had trouble with for some reason. I finally conquered it, only to discover toward the end of the shawl that I had made a huge error at the beginning. So I ended up with this nice looking shawl that had the first 3 rows all stupid looking. I think I put away the hooks at that point.

Somewhere along the way I got a magazine that had a bunch of things to make using the humble Granny Square pattern. I had to relearn all the terms again, and pretty much taught myself how to do it. I loved it! Making those squares was just so much fun. I made hats, scarves, blankets. I did try other things using other stitches. I made a couple of rugs using Aunt Lydia’s Rug Yarn (which is no more, sadly) and more potholders.

I mostly do granny squares now. I have made a few little purses using double-crochet, but I prefer the variety of colors I can put into something made with the squares. One time I started crocheting a tote bag out of plastic grocery bags. I HATED doing that! Marv’s mom was a champ at crochet, and made a bunch of those things and sold them to the various nurses and CNAs at the nursing home she was in! She could do anything in the world of crochet, and if she didn’t have a pattern she could usually make it up. I really wish I had that talent. Thanks to the Internet, there is a vast number of sites for all things Granny Square. One Christmas, I made several pairs of slippers for various family members. Right now I’m working on a tote bag. It’s made with the usual pattern square, but it’s assembled in a way I’ve never done before, and will require lining. I’ve never done that, and am willing to give it a try, even though it involves the sewing machine.

So that’s my story. Yes, I’m a hooker. And proud of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment