Thursday, April 9, 2015

April 2015 Book Report





Lawrence of Arabia (1962) by Alistair MacLean

Never saw the movie, but had heard of this guy. This was a YA bio from a book sale. T. E. Lawrence was quite a guy. I have to admit I skimmed some of the battle stuff and strategies. A lot of the people mentioned in the book I looked up on the Internet to read more about them. Interesting history.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
The Brownstone House (1974) by Rae Foley

Good little mystery. Three women who were friends in college grow apart as adults and things aren’t as friendly as they seemed. Then people start dropping dead. I really wondered who the perp was until the very end, when it was obvious who it was, as he was the only one left alive. I enjoy it when I don’t see the ending way before.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
The Kinta Years (1973) by Janice Holt Giles

Autobiography of Ms. Giles’ early years in Kinta, OK. Tons of Southern history here. Fascinating. Would like to find more of her books. Very well written. A little wordy here and there, but very enjoyable.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Sanctum (2014) by Madeleine Roux

This is the sequel to Asylum. Very creepy. Great story. I think I enjoyed this one even more than the first book. Dan, Abby and Jordan return to the university adjacent to Brookline Asylum to do some more sleuthing. Still leaves a lot of questions at the end, so I hope there will be another book in the wings.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Time Bandit (2008) by Andy and Johnathan Hillstrand

I’m a big fan of The Deadliest Catch, a reality show on Discovery. The show is about crab fishing on the Bering Sea. The Hillstrand brothers are the co-captains of the FV Time Bandit. The chapters went back and forth between the brothers. Good read.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Retrograde (2014) by “Captain” Robert Brown

This sequel to The Wrath of Fate was outstanding! Another great romp through time in the airship Ophelia. I love how “Captain” Robert weaves the lyrics of his songs throughout his books. Abney Park is the BEST Steampunk band ever!



No comments:

Post a Comment