Friday, November 2, 2012

Slow Down!






It may not look like it, by I have WAY too much on my plate! And I don’t mean just food (although that CAN be a problem…) but everything else I have piled on in life. And a goodly portion of that is something I have served up MYSELF. It seems like people feel that if they don’t have every minute accounted for in doing SOMETHING, they’re slacking off.

I have been given a great gift of not having to work outside the home, but it seems that I get to the end of my day and wonder “What the heck happened?!? What do I have to show for this day?”

I’ll admit SOME of it is due to having a computer, but not all of it. I used to write a lot more, and having a computer made it very easy. I can’t remember the last time I wrote a short story or a poem. Of course, I do keep to my schedule of a weekly blog, but I don’t count that as much.

I used to read a LOT. It was one of the biggest joys in my life. It’s still a joy, but one I don’t indulge in as much as I’d like. And I DO blame the computer for that one. When I’m at Sarah’s, I hardly touch the computer and I read each evening before going to bed.

Crafting has always been a big joy as well. As I’ve mentioned in previous blogs, when my muse Myrtle hits me, I’m a whirlwind for a certain period of time. Then I stop completely. My craft room is still in total chaos.

In my case, I need to clear some of the “junk food” off my plate and replace it with healthy stuff. Reading, of course. Playing the piano. Writing to friends. I had a very active and wonderful correspondence with 3 penpals that has pretty much fallen by the wayside.

Most important of all, I feel, is to JUST STOP AND THINK. Do nothing. Sit and ponder, pray, meditate, whatever. BE QUIET for a minute.

And I fully understand the irony of this whole post, as I'm about to spend another week in Fresno with Lia again. She doesn't understand the concept of "quiet time". And of course we're heading into "the holidays" as well. 

I don’t quite know how I’m going to deal with all this, but I’m hoping that by addressing this in a somewhat public manner, I will be encouraged to take charge and make changes. We’ll see. Wish me luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment