Friday, July 13, 2012

Book Report July 2012



Holy smokes! I haven’t done a book report since January! I won’t report on all the ones I’ve read since then, at least in this one posting. Just a few for now and more to come later…

Heartstones by Ruth Rendell

I read this many years ago and gave it to Sarah. One of the last times I was at her house, I saw it in her bookcase and decided to read it again. I had not remembered the ending. It was a surprise all over again. I love that kind of thing! The young girl Elvira was just as creepy as when I first read this story. The teenage years suck!! This poor girl needs some good counseling and meds. As does this entire dysfunctional family. I’ve read a lot of Ruth Rendell’s books, and she is very good when it comes to atmosphere and tension. Can’t say much more without ruining it.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
The Marriage Bureau for Rich People by Farahad Zama

Awesome first book in a series!! I LOVED this book! Mr. Ali retires from a government position in India, and to stave off boredom, opens a marriage bureau from his home. Just a great little slice of life there. You really come to care about the main people. There’s great heartfelt concern and humor.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
Some Girls: My Life in a Harem by Jillian Lauren

True story about how a prostitute becomes part of the Prince of Brunei’s harem. Ms. Lauren writes very well, and I was captivated from the first word to the last. One thing I was grateful about was that fact that there is no graphic sex. You know it’s there, but the spotlight wasn’t on that aspect of her life in the harem.
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle

A real rip-snorter of a book! I’ve read all the Sherlock Holmes stories by Mr. Doyle, but had never read any of his ‘science-fiction’ and this was a good one. A plateau in South American is the home of dinosaurs and ape-men. The explorers of this strange land are tested to the maximum.


No comments:

Post a Comment