Friday, January 14, 2011

Friday's Feast - January

Friday’s Feast - January

Some time back, I discovered a blog where a woman would do a posting on Fridays, calling it Friday’s Feast, and likening it to a meal with appetizer, soup, salad, main course and dessert. I thought it was a neat way to take a topic and divide it up. So here’s my “meal” for your enjoyment. Maybe I’ll do more, maybe not.

*Appetizer – “How do you usually celebrate on New Year’s Eve?”

We usually get together with friends for an evening of fellowship and fun. We eat, drink, play games and wait for midnight. Favorite games are Boggle, Scattergories, Pictionary, Rummikub, Dominoes.

*Soup – “Name one thing unexpected that happened to you in 2010.”

There were actually three things that had great impact on me.

Dealing with the aftermath of my mother-in-law’s stroke made a huge change in the dynamics of the family. It wasn’t necessarily all negative, though, and in fact brought about changes there were beneficial for all concerned.

Paul moving out and the circumstances that led to that were difficult, but as usual, God knows what He’s doing and I just needed to step away and let God take over.

Our pastor left our church to take a call in Kenya. LOTS of changes there, and good bit of chaos, but I think it will be good once the dust settles.

*Salad – “Where was your favorite place that you visited in 2010?”

I never thought that Fresno, CA would become a favorite place, but since that’s where Lia is, there ya go…

I got to spend a week there at the end of summer and had a chance for some REAL 1-on-1 with Lia. Exhausting, but I loved it!

*Main Course – “What resolution is your top priority for 2011?”

The resolution for 2011 is a continuation of the one I made in the middle of 2010: get medical help for the depression, and ONCE AND FOR ALL hand over my concerns to God and let Him take over. I’d handed them over many, many times, but always grabbed them right back. Not a good idea…

*Dessert – “Using just three words, describe 2010.”

Unexpected

Changes

Renewal

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. We used to celebrate with the family,playing games and eating to see the New Year in together. When we were younger, we used to host other friends/families, providing a family friendly atmosphere to celebrate. After spending a good portion of the Christmas holiday together, the kids celebrate separately and Bruce and I Celebrate together alone.

    I spent last year in very unfamiliar territory, worrying about being homeless. Never would have seen that coming!

    My favorite place that we visited for the first time was Meijer Gardens. Bruce and I really got our money's worth out of that membership! Lots of great stuff to do there in every season.

    I don't make resolutions (long term that is), it's depressing when the fallible human reasserts itself and messes things up, so I just try to do my best every year.

    Not the best. (there is is - 3 words to sum it up!)

    ReplyDelete