Monday, December 7, 2009

gift cards and fruit cake

I've written about gift cards before on Myspace, but just have to say something again after reading an article titled "Gift cards are the new fruit cake". First of all, fruit cake has a bad rep because of the mass-marketed cake that is usually on the shelf this time of year. I LOVE fruit cake IF:
1. It's DENSE
2. It's MOIST
3. It's FULL of CHERRIES
4. It's DRIPPING with rum/brandy/whatever. (Maybe all 3)
5. It's HOMEMADE
Give me a plate of fruit cake like that, and a cup of coffee and I'll call it dinner!
Now, about gift cards. Once again, I LOVE gift cards! I do NOT think they: are a cop-out/show how much you DON'T care/are lazy. And yes, it does depend on the store the card is for. Yes, you can get screwed on the weird, out-of-the way stores that might go out of business at any moment. The MAJOR places are just fine, thankyouverymuch. AND--it doesn't cost much to mail the little gems to those you love. And believe me, it's the loved ones that get the gift cards!
So, Gladys, if you are of a mind to gift me for either my birthday (this Friday, thanks for asking) or CHRISTmas, here are some of my favorite places I would love to have a gift card for:
1. Barnes and Noble--there's a reason this is number 1.
2. Starbucks--competing hard with B&N, but after you drink the coffee, that's it. The book you'll still have.
3. JC Penney/Kohl's/Target/Walmart/Sears--any of the major dept. stores. Last year, I got a fabulous blender at the sales at Penney's. Thanks again, Bert!
4. Michaels Crafts--tons of fun there
5. Red Lobster/Applebees/Olive Garden/Outback--yum! Trader Joe's is good, too.
So there you have it once again. IMHO, fruit cakes are great, if they're the right ones. Gift cards are wonderful. Give me one of each, Gladys, if you're feeling particularly bountiful. And I will say a hearty "Thank you" as well!
I MIGHT even cut you a slice of the fruit cake....maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment