Saturday, November 14, 2009

mmm...hot tea...

Now that the weather has FINALLY turned, I’ve been enjoying a cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate in the evenings. The other night I had a cup of one of my favorites: Earl Grey. Or should I say, “Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.” Yes, Gladys, I am referring to Captain Jean-Luc Picard AKA Patrick Stewart. I’ve watched ALL the Star Treks, from the Classic Trek to the bitter end of the ill-fated Enterprise (great theme song, though). And don’t get me started on the outrageous non-ending of Deep Space Nine or the lame-o ending of Voyager…(imagine a disgusted snort at this point)
One of my favorite tag lines of ST/NG was the tea order that Capt. Picard would place to the replicator in his office. You can find a pretty funny montage on YouTube of clips from various episodes of him saying the “Tea-Earl Grey-Hot” mantra. At some point I actually went out and bought some Earl Grey and said, “Wow! No wonder this is the Captain’s favorite!” Just a wonderful, spicy brew. And though the good Captain drinks his neat, I must have sugar in mine. Once in a great while I will add a tad of milk. Other teas I might put honey in for the sweetener, but not Earl Grey. It demands sugar. Actually, I use Splenda if I have that choice.
And while we’re on the subject, WHERE’S MY REPLICATOR?!?! Ever since The Jetsons, I’ve waited (Lo, these many years) for some kind of food thingy that lets you punch buttons (or speak to) and out comes a perfectly done steak! Forget the flying cars—I want that replicator!
In the meantime, I have my tea, Earl Grey, hot, and dream of the future…

…although a holodeck would be mighty nice, too…

No comments:

Post a Comment