Thursday, February 8, 2024

Ok…I’m Old! – Part 3

 



I LOVED ordering books from these! I still have my 2 absolute favorites: Baby Island (1937) by Carol Ryrie Brink, and The Ghost of Dibble Hollow (1965) by May Nickerson Wallace. When the kids started bringing these home I would order books for them as well. Although I have to admit to getting a TON of the Garfield books for me!

 


 

These were advertised EVERYWHERE. Even on matchbooks. I wondered just how many people became famous artists from sending in their drawings. I had a friend who could accurately draw all of the examples, but never sent any in.

 


 

We would always get new shoes at the start of the school year. I thought this measuring thing was magic! And I loved the little tilted stool the sales person would sit on while trying the shoes on you. 

 


 

Another piece of magic: instant photos!!! My mom took SO MANY TRULY TERRIBLE PICTURES with this thing! She NEVER got it right. But it WAS magic…

 


 

Once we got this we NEVER made popcorn in the old pot on the stove again. And the little cavity in the top where you could put oleo in to melt all over the popcorn as it was coming out…wow. (We never had butter…too expensive.) 

 


 

Just a little side note: We ALWAYS had apple slices when we had popcorn. The combo of the salty popcorn with the sweet apple was so good. And the popcorn would go into the big blue enamel bowls. This picture pretty is almost an exact replica of the 2 bowls we had.

Another side note: These were also the throw-up bowls when we were sick. Whoever was sick had that by the side of the bed to throw up into. I know, TMI, but hey, this is my blog. I can do what I want…

 


No comments:

Post a Comment