Thursday, October 19, 2023

REAL Cooking – Part Two

 



More about cooking from scratch…

 

Have you ever…

 

Baked a cake from scratch

No. We used box mixes. And most of the time the cakes weren’t frosted afterwards.

 

Made frosting from scratch

All the time. When something deserved frosting, it was always made with powdered sugar and a little milk. Birthday cake was frosted. Cookies for the potluck at church were store-bought oatmeal cookies with frosting to make a cookie sandwich.

 

Cooked a pot roast with all the veggies

Yes. The mother of a friend gave me an awesome Farberware pan with a domed lid. That was what I cooked roasts in for YEARS, I still use it a lot for other things, but do roast and veggies in my slow cooker now.

 

Made a meat loaf

I LOVE meatloaf!! With potatoes and gravy. After years of making them with the middle not being cooked all the way, or trying to do one in the microwave with a pan GAURANTEED to cook it better (but it didn’t) I finally came up with what I call Meatloaf Babies. Basically a meatloaf recipe split into 4 fat burger-like patties and baked on a broiler pan so the grease goes through and the patties are thoroughly cooked all the way.

 

Made mac & cheese from scratch

Funny story. Always used whatever was the cheapest boxed mix. The only reason I can say “yes” to this one is when Lia visited one time. I was going to make packaged mac & cheese. Lia recoiled and said “Why not make REAL mac & cheese??” So she shamed me into actually making REAL mac & cheese. But that is the ONLY time I’ve done it…(don’t tell Lia)

 

Made pies from scratch

Yes. When we were first married, we lived next to an abandoned apple orchard. We were told we could have as many apples as we wanted. I made MANY apple pies. And I made the pie dough from scratch as well.

 

Made cookies from scratch

Yes.

 

Cooked a pot of dried beans

Yes. The best lentil soup I’ve ever had.


No comments:

Post a Comment