Thursday, October 12, 2023

REAL Cooking – Part One

 



This was inspired by something my friend Khaki posted. It’s basically the same theme of “have you ever”…fill in the blank. So of course I stole it for a blog series. This one features REAL cooking…You can find recipes for anything on the Internet, but it’s sure a LOT easier to use shortcuts. Most of these things on the list I’ve done with shortcuts. Not many from scratch, but if I had to, I would be able to do them.

 

Have you ever…

 

Made biscuits from scratch

I don’t think so. We ALWAYS had a box of Bisquick on hand in the kitchen. Such a versatile thing. Biscuits, pancakes, coating for fried chicken…

 

Cooked fresh okra or squash

I don’t care for okra, but I do enjoy baked acorn squash. Super easy to do. Pretty much a winter only dish though. Too hot to run the oven otherwise.

 

Made homemade soup

Not really. Any time I’ve had broth from cooking meat, I usually make gravy with it. There are so many wonderful packaged soup mixes now that it’s so easy to do a basic one and just add whatever leftover meat or veg you have on hand. And boxed broth is so easy to use.

 

Made chili from scratch

Yes. Very mild. Anymore, though, I will get canned chili and add a can or two of cooked peeled tomatoes.

 

Made spaghetti sauce from scratch

No. Growing up, store-bought sauce was too expensive. (My grandmother lived through 2 world wars and the depression and could pinch a penny like you wouldn’t believe!) We always used a can of Campbell’s tomato soup.

 

Fried chicken

Not really. I have a wonderful recipe using Bisquick coating and fixing it in the oven. A lot healthier.

 

Homemade rolls or cinnamon rolls

Not these specifically, but one Easter-tide I did undertake Hot Cross Buns from scratch. A lot of work and I didn’t think they were any better than store-bought.

 

Made potato salad

Barf…no…never in this lifetime…


No comments:

Post a Comment