Thursday, November 17, 2022

100 Books – part 5

 



More from the list of books everyone should read in their lifetime.

 

Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Mrs. de Winter by Susan Hill

Only the book Rebecca was on this list, but I feel that the second one should be included. I enjoyed the book immensely. The 1979 miniseries with Jeremy Brett was very good. The second book by Susan Hill was a sequel written in 1993. It got pretty bad reviews, but I enjoyed it. I always thought you were left kind of hanging after the first one. The second book wraps things up nicely, although there is no happy ending.

 

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Had to read this in high school. Loved it. Love the atmosphere of that time period. I don’t think there were many happy Puritans. I haven’t seen any of the movies or other adaptations of this book.

 

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Wonderful book. I actually saw the 1987 TV movie version first, which was good, but enjoyed the book better. I highly recommend the 1949 movie version. That was so well done. As in The Wizard of Oz ten years earlier, the movie was in black and white except for the scenes in the garden, which were in color.

 

The Princess Bride by Wm Goldman

The book was good. I enjoyed it. But nothing beats the movie. Hands down. “As you wish.”

 

The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe

I think most people know this poem pretty well. Great poem. In the first season of Alone on the History Channel, contestant Alan Kay recited the poem as he was trying to survive in the woods with nothing to eat and staying in a very damp cave. And of course, you have the version from The Simpsons. Quoth the raven, “Eat my shorts!”

 

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Hated it. Tried to read it. Couldn’t. Haven’t seen the movie and have no desire to do so.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment