Thursday, August 4, 2022

What Do You Collect? (besides dust)

 



I am somewhat famous for my collection of cat “stuff” and am rather proud of it.

Marv has been collecting militaria for years and years.

My son-in-law collects Coleman lanterns.

 

I know there are a LOT of collector groups in this world. I wanted to see what kind of unusual or odd collector groups there are. There weren’t that many actual groups. I mostly came across individuals that collected odd stuff. And yes, I know “odd” is up for interpretation. I have never understood toy collectors that never take the things out of the package. What’s the point if you can’t play with it? I remember the Beanie Baby craze and I got a few of those (cats, of course) and the first thing I’d do is cut the tag off. My friend who collected them as an investment was horrified.

 

Bagpipes? Really? This is a group and the record holder has 105 of these suckers. I’m glad he’s not my neighbor.

 

TV and movie related board games. I love board games and have a lot of the usual ones. The only one I have to fit this category is one based on the movie It’s a Wonderful Life.

 

Slinky collection. A woman had 1,054. I think it would be cool to go someplace historical, like the Lincoln Memorial and set them all up in a line of the top step and then start them all going down.

 

Now, I try not to judge, (but I will, trust me) but there is a married couple who have a collection of 240 “love dolls”. Ahem. Life size. They like to dress them up and even take them on shopping trips. I guess it would help if you’re driving in the carpool lane…

 

I’ll close with what I think is one of the weirdest: Nicotine gumball. ABC. It took 6 years, 95,200 pieces of gum and weighs 175 pounds. But the guy DID manage to quit smoking, so good for him! That’s his picture at the top.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment