Friday, February 18, 2022

How Big Is Your Bucket?

 



I don’t particularly believe in having a bucket list. I prefer to be satisfied with what happens naturally. The question “What would you do/see/buy if money were no object” is useless. I like fairy tales, but I know that’s what they are. They are not real or attainable. I’ve already done blogs on this kind of thing, knowing that they were fairy tales.

 

There is one thing, however, that is marginally attainable. There would be many requirements for it to take place. It calls for a competent pianist and a venue with a second piano.

 

When I took piano lessons, there was a book I loved: Friedrich Burgmüller, Opus 100, Twenty-five easy and progressive studies for the piano. I learned ALL 25 pieces, with several of them becoming favorites.

 

Several years ago I was in a thrift store and found a 2 volume set of piano duets for 4 hands, 2 pianos of all 25 of the Burgmüller pieces. I was overjoyed. Now all I had to do was find a second piano and someone to play the duets with me.

 

(screeching halt)

 

For a while, we had a guy at our church who played the keyboard for the services. He was very talented but a total flake. I managed to browbeat him into doing one of the pieces with me at an Advent service. He had a second keyboard to play with the church one, but our sound system didn’t work out very well. That was the only time I’ve been able to play one of the duet pieces. I can’t even find them performed on youtube. At least not as a 2 piano duet.

 

So that is my bucket list. I don’t need to “perform” the pieces. I just want to play them and hear them as duets. I think I need a bigger bucket… *sigh*

 


No comments:

Post a Comment